What is a press conference?A press conference is a strategic communication tool that allows an organisation to convey relevant information to the media and the general public. At this event, company representatives meet with journalists to present news, important announcements or topics of public interest.
When to hold a press conference?
Press conferences are ideal for announcing product launches, presenting studies and reports, clarifying situations, responding to crises or communicating significant changes in the organisation. They are convened when the information is important enough to capture the attention of the media and the public.
Types of press conferences
There are various formats of press conferences, from traditional to virtual.
Traditional press conferences are held in a physical location, usually easily accessible to journalists in order to optimise their time.
On the other hand, virtual conferences take advantage of technology to reach journalists around the world. Round tables and breakfast briefings are also popular.
Practical tips for a successful press conference
- Detailed planning: Define precisely the purpose, target audience and key message of the conference.
- Strategic invitations: Invite relevant journalists and media to maximise coverage. You can opt for physical or electronic invitations, depending on the situation.
- Clear message: Prepare a concise and relevant message that highlights the most important aspects. Define a main message and some secondary messages, supported by data or magnitudes.
- Supporting material: Provides press material, such as press releases, images and relevant data.
- Practice your presentation: Rehearse the presentation to convey confidence and consistency. Thorough preparation is key even for effective improvisation.
Stages for organising a press conference
Define the objective, date, time and place of the conference. Generally, a morning time slot is chosen, unless the conference is international in scope.
Invitations and RSVPs:
Send invitations to the media and confirm their attendance through phone calls, emails, WhatsApp messages or other means.
Prepare press materials, presentations and visuals. Make sure that the information is validated by your client and its partners, if necessary.
Day of the event:
Coordinate space, technology, logistics and make sure everything is ready.
Interaction with the media:
Present information, answer questions and facilitate interviews.
If planned, distribute a summary of the information to absent journalists. This press release is usually distributed afterwards, once the journalists present have published their information.
Evaluate media coverage and analyse quantitative and qualitative results.
Major mistakes at a press conference
Boost your communication strategy with Incognito
Organising a successful press conference requires planning, precise execution and strategy. At Incognito, we’re here to help you optimise every step to ensure your message effectively reaches your audience. Find out how our press office service can strengthen your communication strategy.